Monday, April 20, 2009

The Rest Is Silence

Unlike Laura, I have a difficult time putting my feelings into words.. Somewhere in the process of translating my feelings into sentences everything gets scrambled and it ends up not making any sense. This is where music saves me.

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words, he would not bother trying to say it in music" - Gustav Mahler

Music is a part of all of us. I believe it's an inherent quality that every single person needs to survive. Can you imagine life without music? Without humming a simple tune? Without wind chimes, and drums, or rain? Without the sound of high heels on hard wood, or simple instruments? What would a movie be like if it didn't have the music to set the mood? What would lyrics be without the melody? I can't, nor would I ever want to reside in a place void of music.

"Without music life would be a mistake" -Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

This is why we sing and write. Not to be recognized, not because it seems to be the popular thing to do.. but because we have to. Someday we hope to influence people with our music, help others the way we've been helped. Music gets me through the day, and someday I want my music to help another get through their day.. because I know how much it helps.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" -Berthold Auerbach

~Isabel

No comments:

Post a Comment